Friday, October 21, 2011

She's Here!

Our precious girl has arrived! What a day it was! My due date was November 2nd but we were doing a scheduled c-section on Wednesday, October 26th. I have never had a c-section but this little girl has been measuring off the charts in size in the 90th percentile and my doctor thought it was safest for both of us to do a c-section. I saw the doctor at the 37 week mark and was happy to be "full term". She hadn't really seen any change and said you may go early but you may make it to the 26th. I was convinced nothing was going to happen...ha,ha!

Last Sunday, I decided to clean out the garage fridge. Drew was also working in the garage. I was sitting on the floor wiping out the fridge and suddenly felt wet...I stood up and had fluid running down my leg. This is new for me as my water never broke with the other 2 kids. I told Drew that my water just broke and he said, "No, it didn't!" Once I convinced him, we were quickly packed and out the door...kids left with Yaya.

We got to the hospital and as soon as they confirmed my water had broken, they kicked it into high gear! I was swarmed by nurses, getting an IV in, admitting me to the hospital, getting Drew his "hazmat" suit. While all of this was going on, the OB was telling me what to expect with the c-section and the anestesiologist was going over what the spinal would be like. It was a bit overwhelming.

We were in the OR shortly after and Sarah was born a few minutes after that! We knew she was going to be big but I was a bit nervous as to how big! All the docs and nurses were anxious to hear her weight as they all saw her size as she came out. Just an ounce shy of 9 pounds was about what I expected. I can't imaging what she would have weighed if we made it to the 26th for the scheduled c-section!

She is so healthy and they just had to spend a few minutes getting all of the fluid out of her as they said is very typical with c-section babies. The biggest surprise for all of us was the size of her umbilical cord. This was clearly the explanation for her size. Her cord was HUGE! The OB said it was the biggest cord he had ever seen! There really is no explanation for the size but it took Drew quite a cut to get through it! She had also swam a knot into it which shows how active she was. They said it wasn't a tight knot thanks to the size of the cord so she wasn't in any real danger.

We are just so thrilled that she is here and overwhelmed by the blessing that she is to our family. God is so good and we thank him everyday!

Sarah Grace Welsh Meifert
October 16, 2011
3:48 pm
8 pounds, 15 ounces
20 1/2 inches


Drew took my picture as I was frantically getting ready to leave for the hospital.


Last picture of the belly...ready to go!


She's here...check out the size of that cord!


Proud Daddy!


Getting to touch Sarah just for a second before I went to recovery and she went to the nursery to get checked over.


First bath...she slept through it!


Our little ski bunny in her newborn hat


That's better...all snuggled up!


Mama meeting Sarah...I was a bit overwhelmed with emotion.


Sarah meets her Yaya for the first time


Auntie Adie holding Sarah for the first time


My little sugar plum!


We're going home!


Jack meets his sister for the first time when we picked him up from school.


Abigail meeting her sister for the first time.


Daddy with Sarah after her bath at home


All clean and wide awake!

Jack holding Sarah for the first time.


Proud big sister holding her baby sister!

Proud big brother and big sister holding Sarah for the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment